Nucleom provides NDT services leading to the safe and productive operation of nuclear facilities.
Nucleom was founded to address the nuclear industry’s distinctive needs and standards. The innovative inspection systems and procedures created to meet these requirements of the nuclear industry also find extensive uses in several other markets, such as in the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) industry. Today, Nucleom is best known for developing and executing the most effective NDT/NDE methods, techniques and strategies to effectively solve the needs of our clients across a broad range of industries.
Nucleom helps you make informed decisions, using cutting-edge equipment, high-level expertise and impressive R&D programs.
Engineering and Design
Over the years Nucleom has proven to be a reliable source for both design of complex automated NDE tooling and workforce deployment of highly qualified staff in a successful, first-of-a-kind tool deployment for various customers.
As part of a design and development program, Nucleom role is to evaluate different NDE techniques for the examination of critical characteristics of components and identifies the best inspection technique to use with the best equipment. The experienced NDT specialist team paired with knowledgeable designers are working together to provide a turnkey solution to our customers with various levels of automation as required.
Nucleom’s combination of site experience and tool design know-how results in a more accurate perspective on site challenges for tooling and NDE system operation. This results in a complete service package including tooling development, tooling integration and site deployment activities. With continuous improvement and internal training programs, Nucleom’s technicians and engineers can provide the highest level of expertise.
This technology has a demonstrated history in the oil, gas, and petrochemical industries, including terminals, refineries, and remote stations, but it can also be used in almost any other situation that requires working at heights or in confined spaces. Nucleom’s drone solution eliminated facility downtime, minimizes the operator’s cost and maximizes inspection coverage. Learn more
Nucleom’s metrology solution proposes multiple 3D Scanning/Precise Measurement services offer, as listed below. In the nuclear field, we mainly use it to assess the integrity of feeders, hubs and nozzles.
- Data file of scanned part or environment;
- Metrology Report, High accuracy datums and features extraction (probing or scanning);
- Real time deviation analysis;
- CAD design and reverse engineering;
- 2D iso drawing;
- Advanced analysis;
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA);
- Much more.
Nucleom offers added value NDE project management services that assists Small Modular Reactor (SMR) projects to ensure NDE related costs are as efficient as possible. With over 13 years of Nuclear Project Management experience, Nucleom is ready to understand the scope of work required and execute it in the best way possible.
Nuclear Industry Quality Assurance
Nucleom is a C of A holder with the TSSA and has been assessed to have a compliant CSA N285.0 ASME Sec III Division 1 Quality Assurance Program by one of the largest Nuclear Facilities in the world. Nucleom takes pride in participating in the Canadian Nuclear Industry supply chain is positioned well to assist in your Small Modular Reactor (SMR) project anywhere in the world. Learn more
Quality Control Inspection
Having been selected by two of the largest Nuclear Refurbishments in Canada to perform NDE and QC related services, Nucleom is a sound choice for sourcing Quality Control Inspectors for your Small Modular Reactor (SMR) project. Nucleom Quality Control Inspectors are responsible for:
- Complying to regional codes and standards;
- Executing required inspections detailed in Inspection and Test Plans;
- Verifying quality records related to field activities;
- Perform visual examination (welding, torquing, hydrostatic testing, etc);
- Monitoring of welding activity parameters;
- Reviewing CMTRs;
- Witness site filed activities and documents in ITPs;
- Verify reports for completion and accuracy;
- Compiling and submitting files for historical records.
Fuel pellets is a new age of the nuclear power. It is a safe energy source inside the SMR (Small Modular Reactor). The fuel pellets look like batteries, cylinders measuring approximately 26 mm diameter by 70 mm length. Inside the fuel pellets, there are a lot of small spheres of uranium (1 mm diameter), coated with three layers. They are called TRISO particles. During the manufacturing process, Nucleom can confirm with its expert inspector, the number of particles inside the cylinder, the correct position between them and the good specification between the layers. An automatic inspection system can be developed by Nucleom since the fuel pellets quantity produced is phenomenal. Learn more
Finite Element Analysis
Nucleom provides complex engineering inspections with finite element analysis (FEA). Clients can better determine the integrity of their system with Nucleom’s services. Nucleom proposes a wide range of FEA services, some examples are listed below.
- Seismic and vibration simulations to determine security ratios and maximal loads sustainable from a system.
- Fatigue simulations to determine the lifespan of components and schedule inspections.
- Thermal simulations to estimate and reduce thermic loss.
- Deformation simulations to estimate maximal stresses and constraints sustainable for components.
- Pressure simulations to determine security ratios and maximal pressure sustainable for a component or piping system.
At first, Nucleom was founded to address the nuclear industry’s distinctive needs and standards. Nucleom being a leading player in NDT, we have already started working on developing tailored inspection services for Small Modular Reactors (SMR). Nucleom uses a wide range of equipment and state-of-the-art tools which can be integrated to manual, and semi/fully automatized inspection systems, thereby responding to all the challenges that can be encountered. Nucleom particularly specializes in advanced applications such as complex geometries and Corrosion Resistant Alloys (CRA) inspections.
- UT (Ultrasonic Testing): Using the latest tools available on the market, Nucleom has developed a PAUT inspection technique that provides 100% volumetric coverage of cast austenitic stainless-steel welds. Learn more
- RT (Radiography Testing): The SCAR method allows for a smaller and less intrusive safety zone for the people working in the surrounding areas, hence increasing overall productivity of the radiography team, especially in crowded areas. Learn more
- MT (Magnetic Particle Testing): MT is a common surface inspection technique. Cracks act as a dipole magnet for the magnetic particles to cluster. Learn more
- PT (Liquid Penetrant Testing): PT is used to detect surface breaking flaws on nonporous materials, such as metals, plastics or ceramics. Learn more
- ET (Eddy Current Testing): Nucleom is extremely familiar with the most common inspection systems used for tube inspection. We have extensive experience in inspection programs of steam generators, heat exchangers and condensers, to name a few. Learn more
- VT (Visual Testing): VT is used to detect visible flaws such as deformation, welding defects and corrosion. Learn more
What is a Small Modular Reactor?
A Small Modular Reactor (SMR) is a nuclear reactor facility that is smaller than traditional nuclear power plants. SMRs could be used in areas, where power needs are small or in locations not possible for larger nuclear plants. Outside electricity generation, SMRs could also be used as hydrogen fuel, desalination of water, process heat, and more.
How can NDT/NDE be used on Small Modular Reactor?
As stated by Karine Herviou, Director at the Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety (IRSN, France) on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) website, “inspection and non-destructive examination of the welds of components are necessary to check the quality of the manufactured items” (source).